About the Course
Your first step to becoming a PADI open water scuba diver. This fun and exciting course will teach you the basics of SCUBA diving through academics (E-Learning, study at your own pace), and hands-on, in-water skills.
• Crew-Pak (Recreational Dive Planner and Diving Log Book)
• Academic Review Sessions
• Pool/Confined Water Sessions
• Scuba kit rental (BCD, Regulator, Octopus, Gauges, Weights & Tanks)
• All necessary Air Fills
• Four open water checkout dives
• Instructor Fees
• Entry Fees for your Checkout Dive Location, (currently Lake Phoenix in Rawlings, Virginia) RV sites are available and not part of the course cost.
• Certification Card Fees
• Option to travel to other locations for additional trip fees, and hotel stays. Dependent on where we go.
What’s not included:
• Your personal gear (Mask, fins, snorkel, boots)
• RV sites are available and tent camping for Lake Pheonix.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
• Knowledge Development to understand basic principles of scuba diving,
• 5 Pool/Confined Water Dives to learn basic scuba skills,
• 4 Open Water Dives over two days to review your skills and explore!
To enroll in the PADI Open Water Diver course or Junior Open Water Diver course, you must be:
• 10 years or older (Note: 10-14-year-old students will earn the PADI Junior Open Water Diver certification)
• Adequate Swimming Skills
• Good Physical Health
The Fun Part!
The fun part is just about all of it because learning to dive is incredible, but breathing underwater for the first time is something you will never forget. The feeling of weightlessness is amazing. Your vacations will have a new meaning because you will be able to seek new adventures in the underwater world.
The Learning Materials You Need:
PADI e-Learning allows you to complete knowledge development at home at your own pace. A quick review quiz is administered by your PADI Instructor once you have completed the online program.
PADI's Open Water Diver materials cover what you need to know about basic scuba diving skills, terminology and safety procedures. For each concept you'll read a description and watch a video demonstration. Then you'll jump in the pool (or pool-like environment) to practice these skills with your instructor.
How to Plan Your In-Water Portion of the Course:
After completing the E-learning, we can schedule your orientation, confined water and open water portion of the course. During your Orientation you will get fitted for your scuba kit, obtain your personal gear, take a knowledge review quiz and go over any questions you might have.
Pool sessions are done on site at our location in Montross and the open water portion of the course is done at Lake Phoenix located in Rawlings, Virginia.
*Private Lessons are available
What It Costs:
• Complete PADI Open Water Diver Certification - $720.00
• *Private Lessons - Add $200
I received my PADI Open Water certification in 2007 and have been hooked ever since. I received my PADI Instructor rating in 2020 and am looking forward to sharing and teaching scuba to others who seek new adventures. I am certified to teach PADI Open Water courses, Emergency First Responders as well as some other PADI specialty courses.
Being in the water is just a great place to be. Other than my bed, it is my happy place.